International Maritime Lawyers
Legal Representation for International Seamen of American Companies on Global Waterways
At Doyle Dennis LLP, our firm of International Trial Lawyers, led by Michael Doyle, Patrick Dennis, and Jeff Avery, have been successfully fighting on behalf of clients around the world for decades, bringing claims against their American employers and insurers. Our attorneys based in Houston, Texas have a deep understanding of the complexities of international offshore oil exploration, as well as the operations of the American companies that conduct this work, and are well-versed in the peculiarities of bringing a claim against an American employer by a foreign citizen. Having dealt with many similar cases in the past, our firm takes great pride in its ability to work with people of all backgrounds and cultures as they seek legal compensation for their American Maritime claims. Our attorneys have years of experience, and the knowledge and expertise necessary to provide you with the best legal advice and representation possible. With decades of experience and success in the courtroom, you can trust Doyle Dennis LLP to provide quality legal assistance to you. Our lawyers can help you review your International Maritime Accident claim and discuss your legal options so you can get the compensation you deserve. Contact us today for a free consultation, and let us help you navigate the complexities of the American legal system and fight for your rights!
What should I do after an International Maritime Accident?
When a maritime incident occurs, quick and informed action is crucial to ensure the safety of everyone involved and mitigate any potential harm or injuries. With this in mind, here are some key steps that should be taken in response to such an event:
- Take measures to protect yourself immediately: In the event of an International Maritime Accident and if you have sustained injuries, your foremost concern should be to prioritize your safety. If you are unable to move, or find yourself in a hazardous location, it is essential that you seek assistance from a crew member or other qualified individual. Do not hesitate to ask for help, as prompt action can make a significant difference in your well- being and recovery.
- Obtain Medical Care: It is imperative to get medical help right away if you were hurt in the incident. This might entail being taken to a doctor or other medical facility, or receiving medical attention from an on-board medical professional. Getting medical help as soon as possible can be crucial to your treatment, regardless of how serious your injuries are. Don’t put off getting assistance because doing so could cause more problems and endanger your health.
- Notify the proper authorities: It is absolutely vital that the maritime accident is reported to your supervisor and/or other appropriate authority without delay. This will ensure that the event is recorded, enabling an inspection to be started and a solution to the problem. It’s crucial to act quickly on this action because it can help stop upcoming accidents from happening. Additionally, it may offer a record of the incident, helping those impacted receive the necessary compensation.
- Document the events of the accident: Note the exact date, time and place of the occurrence. Be sure to document any injuries or damage that may have occurred with detailed notes and photographs. It is important to be thorough in filing relevant accident reports and any other related material, taking care to record all facts and details pertaining to the event. Additionally, consider preserving any evidence that may have been left behind, such as equipment or tools, in order to have a complete record of the incident.
- Seek out individuals who can provide information about the incident: In order to get in touch with any witnesses to the emergency who may have been present in the event of a legal case, it is crucial to gather their contact info as soon as possible. It’s also crucial to get their views on what they saw because their statements and testimony may be used as evidence. In order to determine the credibility of the event, it is also beneficial to ask questions that might help to clarify any discrepancies in the accounts of it. To ensure that the incident’s details are accurately presented in court, it is also essential to document the witnesses’ contact information as they may be called for further testimony at a later date.
- Seek legal advice from an international maritime injury lawyer: It’s crucial to get legal counsel from a seasoned international maritime injury attorney if you’ve been involved in an accident while working at sea. This is particularly true if you think that your employer or another party was negligent in causing the accident. You can better understand your legal rights and options and choose the best course of action by speaking with an admiralty injury lawyer. To help you get the best results contact a firm with experience in the area. A skilled maritime attorney can walk you through the legal process and explain the nuances of the law.
- Continue medical care for the injury: After being hurt in an emergency, it is crucial that you adhere to your medical provider’s instructions and get the proper medical attention. Physical therapy, rehabilitation services, and any other important medical procedures that your doctor has recommended could fall under this category. Even though they might not be enjoyable, these treatments are crucial to your treatment and should be taken seriously.
- Plan for your long-term health and wellness: After suffering a maritime injury, it is imperative to take the necessary precautions to maintain your physical and mental health. The best way to make sure you’re making progress toward recovery is to take care of yourself. The key to maintaining good health is getting sufficient quality sleep, eating a balanced, nutritious diet, and asking for support from loved ones, friends, or other reliable sources. Finding healthy ways to unwind is also crucial, such as exercising, having fun, or scheduling time to spend with loved ones. It can also be crucial to ask a mental health professional for help if you feel like you find yourself needing the assistance.
If you or a loved one has been injured or killed in an international maritime accident, it is essential to seek legal guidance from a highly experienced international maritime law firm as soon as possible. The lawyers who specialize in international admiralty law have the specialized knowledge and expertise necessary to help you navigate the complex American legal system and seek justice and financial compensation. It is important to choose a maritime lawyer or law firm with a proven track record of success in handling maritime cases, as this will give you the best chance of success. Time is of the essence when it comes to accidents at sea, so don’t delay in seeking legal help. Doing so as soon as possible will ensure that you have the best chance of achieving the desired outcome and obtaining the financial compensation you need to move forward with your life. Call the international maritime law firm at Doyle Dennis LLP today to schedule a free consultation!
Do International Maritime Workers Qualify for Jones Act Protections?
The Jones Act is a law that governs maritime workers in the United States and applies to crew members of American-owned and-flagged vessels. International maritime personnel who work on ships with foreign registrations are typically excluded from this. However, the Act may apply to international maritime workers who work for a U.S. corporation or its subsidiary that operates vessels with American registration. This may include vessels such as a drilling rigs or oil platforms located in international or foreign waters.
An International Maritime Worker must meet the Jones Act’s definition of a “seaman” in order to be eligible for Jones Act coverage. This requirement means they must spend a significant amount of time onboard an operating vessel and that their work must significantly advance the goal or operation of the ship. This necessity frequently just requires you to perform your job duties if they help advance the vessel’s overall mission. For instance, if an offshore drilling technician sustains an injury while performing their regular duties, they are typically covered. The international maritime worker may be eligible for the Jones Act’s benefits, including appropriate restitution for work-related injuries, if these requirements are satisfied.
However, an international seamen may not have the same legal options as a citizen of the United States if they sustain an injury while working. To find out which laws may apply, it is crucial to get in touch with a seasoned International Jones Act lawyer. International maritime workers who don’t meet the Jones Act’s requirements may also be subject to a number of other maritime laws and regulations.
Ultimately, international maritime workers are typically not covered by the Jones Act, but those working for American employers that operate vessels with American registrations may be able to pursue a claim in American courts. To do this, the concept of a seaman must be met by an international sailor in order to be covered by the Act, and other maritime laws and regulations may also be applicable in certain situations. Please get in touch with our attorneys right away to learn more about your eligibility as a Jones Act Seaman and your ability to file a Jones Act Claim in the United States legal system. Our experienced international maritime litigation firm will be able to provide you some clarity on what your future might hold. Call Doyle Dennis LLP today
Where can International Offshore Workers file a Jones Act Claim?
Through the Jones Act, if you are a foreign citizen working for an American operator you may be eligible for financial compensation if you are a maritime employee who was hurt while operating an offshore drilling rig, platform, or vessel. This federal law offers safety and financial support, such as a monthly allowance for maintenance and cure-related living expenses. You may also have the right to file a lawsuit against your employer for damages if you were injured due to their negligence or the unseaworthiness of the vessel. If you’re unsure of your eligibility for these benefits, it’s best to consult with a knowledgeable and experienced maritime lawyer to review your case.
If you work in the offshore drilling industry and believe you are entitled to compensation under the Jones Act for an injury you sustained while working, you may be able to bring a claim for damages in either federal or state courts of the United States. Which location is best for filing your claim will depend on the unique conditions of your event.
Consider the following elements:
- The employer’s location can influence where to file a Jones Act injury claim. If the employer operates on a federal level, filing the lawsuit in federal court may be more suitable. Conversely, if the employer has their headquarters or a substantial amount of their operations in a particular state or jurisdiction, that may be the best venue for the claim.
- The location of the injured worker may also impact the decision on where to file a Jones Act injury claim. If the worker lives, works or is based in a state that has developed significant maritime laws and protections for injured workers, it may be more advantageous to file a lawsuit in state court.
- The site of the injury is a critical factor in deciding where to file a Jones Act injury claim. If the injury happened on a vessel navigating navigable waters, such as the ocean or a river, federal court may be the best option for filing a lawsuit. On the other hand, if the injury occurred on a vessel navigating non-navigable waters, like a canal or harbor, state court may be the better choice.
Navigating the Jones Act’s injury claim filing process can be challenging, and the complexities of the law can be difficult to comprehend. Therefore, if you have been injured while working, it is strongly recommended that you consult a qualified maritime attorney. This will help you to better understand your rights, learn about your options, and receive guidance in pursuing the compensation to which you are entitled.
Consider contacting Doyle Dennis LLP for a free consultation to increase your chances of success. Our experienced maritime legal team has a history of successfully assisting injured maritime workers in obtaining their rightful compensation. We will work hard to ensure that you are fully aware of your rights and options, and will provide you with the legal representation and expertise required to ensure a positive outcome. Call Doyle Dennis LLP Today to learn your rights!
Why Do You Need a United States Based International Maritime Lawyer for Your Jones Act Claim?
The answer is simple: Jones Act claims are available to any eligible claimant, but they must be filed and litigated by an American attorney licensed in the appropriate jurisdiction in order to maximize their chances of success. An American law firm with experience in international Jones Act claims such as Doyle Dennis LLP can provide invaluable guidance on the best course of action for the claimant, as well as help them navigate the legal system to receive the full compensation they are entitled to. Moreover, a specialized maritime law firm experienced in this field will offer support throughout the process, from filing the claim to litigating in court, if necessary. This is particularly beneficial for claimants unfamiliar with the legal system, giving them the best chance of obtaining a positive outcome. Our firm prides itself on the ability to connect with people on a human level across borders. Ultimately, an American law firm with international maritime experience is the best option for those looking to pursue a Jones Act claim, as they are well-versed in the laws relevant to these claims and can provide the necessary guidance and support. Contact Doyle Dennis LLP today for a free consultation and to gain an understanding of how we can help you navigate the complexities of the American legal system.
Our Firm’s Proven Track Record of Global Maritime Workers Successfully Bringing Claims in US Courts
Doyle Dennis LLP has a wealth of experience representing injured workers from all over the world’s time zones. Our international maritime attorneys have a strong desire to tackle difficult cases and they continuously work diligently with foreign clients in filing their claims in the American judicial system. Our firm is proud of our accomplishments in helping our clients pursue justice while offering the highest caliber legal solutions. Our team of admiralty trial lawyers possesses unrivaled knowledge and experience in navigating the complexities of the American court system. Doyle Dennis LLP understands the unique needs of our global clients and strives to provide them with the highest level of service.
Some of our past international maritime cases include:
- Representing a citizen of Scotland in their Jones Act claim against their United States-based employer. Our client, a longtime offshore drilling veteran, suffered serious and permanent injuries due to a fall while touring their employer’s vessel. The client, at the time of the injury, was descending a staircase that lacked proper protections on the end of the step and fell as a result. Our firm ensured our client was informed of their legal options after the incident and guided them through the Jones Act lawsuit. The case eventually concluded with a confidential settlement reached on behalf of our Scottish Maritime client with their US-based employer.
- Representing a Canadian citizen operating on an American Drilling Vessel off the coast of Russia when they suffered a serious accident and permanent injuries due to a failure in the vessel’s HVAC system. Our client while traversing the vessel encountered a broken latch in the HVAC system, which lead to a significant change in air pressure and the ensuing violent force flung the client against a nearby wall. As a result of the violent tossing, our client suffered permanent and disabling injuries. Our firm was able to guide this Canadian citizen through the Texas court system and eventually reached a confidential settlement on behalf of the Canadian client for his American employer.
- Representing a UK citizen and Thailand resident in their international maritime injury claim. The incident occurred while they were working on an oil rig offshore Malaysia for their American employer. Our client was traversing a rope ladder when a rogue wave flung them violently, resulting in permanent and disabling injuries. Doyle Dennis LLP helped bring a claim on behalf of the international maritime client against their American employers. Our team of experienced maritime attorneys guided the client through the litigation process and eventually reached a confidential settlement on their behalf.
- Representing a New Zealand citizen injured while working offshore Nigeria for their American Employer. Doyle Dennis LLP guided our client through the complexities of an International Jones Act Lawsuit. The vessel had recently been refurbished near the employer’s base of operations in the United States and our client was fulfilling their duties as a member of the American-led drilling operation offshore Nigeria. Unfortunately, the vessel lacked non-skid or non-slip surfaces on its walkways, which caused our client to suffer serious and debilitating injuries as a result of a fall. The case eventually concluded with a confidential settlement reached on behalf of our international drilling client with their American employer.
- Representing a United Kingdom citizen seriously injured while supporting the offshore drilling operations of their American employer. Our client suffered severe and permanently disabling injuries as a result of a fall caused by unsecured drill pipes on a vessel. The United Kingdom Maritime client was a member of the vessel’s crew and their American employer did not maintain a reasonably safe work space. This lack of safe environment to perform their duties on the vessel resulted in the unfortunate fall and ensuing injuries of our client. Our firm was able to guide this client through the logistics of an International Maritime Claim and successfully bring a US Maritime Lawsuit against their American employer. The case eventually concluded in a confidential settlement being reached on behalf of our UK client with his American employer.
- Representing a Louisiana based Jones Act Seaman injured on a drilling vessel off the coast of Indonesia. Our client developed symptoms of illness and reported them to their employer immediately. However, the employer did not provide the necessary care, resulting in inadequate and delayed evaluation and treatment. As a result, the client’s condition worsened, leading to permanent and disabling injuries. Doyle Dennis LLP was able to assist this Jones Act Seaman in navigating the complexities of an International Jones Act Claim and filing a suit against their American employer. Eventually, a confidential settlement was reached on behalf of our Louisiana-based International Maritime client.
Will My Company Be Informed If I Consult with an International Maritime Attorney?
Contact the International Offshore Trial Lawyers at Doyle Dennis LLP today!
Are you looking for expert legal advice on an international offshore legal matter? Look no further than Doyle Dennis LLP. Our team of experienced and knowledgeable trial lawyers have the expertise to assist you and provide you with sound legal advice and assistance. We understand that international offshore legal cases can be complex and require a deep understanding of the laws and regulations. Our attorneys have extensive experience in these complex matters and are well-respected in the field.
At Doyle Dennis LLP, we strive to offer our clients the best legal services available. Our dedication to excellence has earned us a reputation for providing the highest quality legal representation. We make sure that each client is given the individual attention that their case requires. Our attorneys will work closely with you to ensure that your case is handled quickly and professionally. Our firm prides itself on the ability to work across time zones and borders.
If you need assistance with an international offshore legal claim, contact Doyle Dennis LLP today. We will be happy to schedule a free consultation and get started on your case. Our team is committed to providing you with the best legal advice and services available. Contact us today and get the expert legal advice you need!